Women In Suits

Women In Suits

Wednesday 15 April 2015

Appreciating women before us

Today I am taking a moment to appreciate and applaud the women who left a mark. These are women who aimed higher than the standard to make a difference. A list of these women is endless, but I will only write about four, not because they left a greater mark but because there are a few things we can learn from them as women. The four women are Mother Theresa, Susan B Anthony, Mariam Makeba and Wangari Maathai.

Mother Theresa (1910-1997)
Almost everyone is told about Mother Theresa at least once in their lifetime and this comes as no surprise. Mother Theresa was a Catholic nun of Albanian ethnicity and Indian citizenship. She ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned and dying for over 45 years while leading the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta, first throughout India and then in other countries. She was internationally renowned as a humanitarian and advocate for the poor and helpless. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.

Mother Theresa was humble and selfless, and that is what it takes to leave a mark!

Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906)
I pray every single second of my life; not on my knees but with my work. My prayer is to lift women to equality with men. Work and worship are one with me ~ Susan B. Anthony

Susan was a president of the National American Woman Suffrage Association. She campaigned against slavery and for the promotion of women’s and worker’s rights. Anthony was tireless in her efforts, giving speeches around the country to convince others to support equality and woman's right to vote. She even took matters into her own hands in 1872, and voted illegally in the presidential election for the US. Adult women were only given a right to vote in the US fourteen years after Susan’s death.

Although Susan did not live long enough to see the impact of her efforts, the foundation she laid for women rights is appreciated till this day. Susan B. Anthony was dedicated, and that is what it takes to leave a mark.


I will continue writing about Mariam and Wangari in my next blog postJ.

2 comments:

  1. I totally relate with being dedicated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I will work on being humble and selfless.

    ReplyDelete